Reribbon

Some time ago (quite a while really) I discovered my ribbon controller seemed to have stopped working. I opened it up, poked around, decided the SoftPot had somehow become damaged, decided I didn’t want to shell out for a new one right away, put it aside for some time (quite a while really), took it out again, discovered the SoftPot now seemed to be fine, thought about just putting it all back together but decided I’d rather revise it, put it aside for some time (quite a while really), took it out again, and did it.

I wanted to revise the hardware partly because the original was the first electronics I’d built in some time (quite a while really) and was a somewhat messy, dodgy thing on a protoboard, and partly because I wanted to ditch the USB power in favor of a battery for more accurate 5 V and one less thing to plug in. I wanted to revise the software because I thought the original was way too complicated and disorganized.

I built a new interface box around a dac/ino Lite PCB. It has not much on it beyond an Arduino Nano clone, a DAC chip, a transistor, and a few passives.

The software weighs in at under 100 lines, a lot of which is just definitions of variables and constants. It’s way simpler than the original, but I think it works just as well.

And it all works.

Software repo is here: https://github.com/holmesrichards/ribcon

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s